H-index = 14, Citation metrics available at Google Scholar
Copyright Notice: Many of the links included here are to publications copyrighted by the American Meteorological Society (AMS). Permission to place copies of these publications on this server has been provided by the AMS. The AMS does not guarantee that the copies provided here are accurate copies of the published work. Permission to use figures, tables, and brief excerpts from these works in scientific and educational works is hereby granted provided that the source is acknowledged. Any use of material in this work that is determined to be "fair use" under Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act or that satisfies the conditions specified in Section 108 of the U.S. Copyright Act (17 USC S108, as revised by P.L. 94-553) does not require the AMS's permission. Republication, systematic reproduction, posting in electronic form on servers, or other uses of this material, except as exempted by the above statement, requires written permission or a license from the AMS. Additional details are provided in the AMS Copyright Policy, available on the AMS Web site located at (http://www.ametsoc.org/AMS) or from the AMS at 617-227-2425 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Martinez, J., M. M. Bell, J. Vigh, and R. Rogers, 2017: Examination of Tropical Cyclone Structure and Intensification with the Extended Flight Level Dataset (FLIGHT+) from 1999 to 2012. Mon. Wea. Rev., in press.
- Doyle, J. D., J. Moskaitis, J. Feldmeier, R. Ferek, M. Beaubien, M. M. Bell, D. Cecil, R. Creasey, P. Duran, R. Elsberry, W. Komaromi, J. Molinari, D. Ryglicki, D. Stern, C. Velden, X. Wang, T. Allen, B. Barrett, P. Black, J. Dunion, K. Emanuel, P. Harr, L. Harrison, E. Hendricks, D. Herndon, W. Jeffries, S. J. Majumdar, J. Moore, Z. Pu, R. Rogers, E. Sanabia, G. Tripoli, and D.-L. Zhang, 2017: A View of Tropical Cyclones from Above: The Tropical Cyclone Intensity (TCI) Experiment. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., in press.
- Rogers R.-F., S. Aberson, M. M. Bell, D. J. Cecil, J. D. Doyle,
J. Morgerman, L. K. Shay, and C. Velden, 2017: Re-Writing the Tropical Record Books: The Extraordinary Intensification of Hurricane Patricia (2015). Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., in press.
- Brown, B. R., M. M. Bell, and G. Thompson, 2017: Modifications to a Partially Double Moment Microphysics Parameterization for Hurricane Simulations. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 9, 1150-1166.
- Kalina E. A., S. Y. Matrosov, J. J. Cione, F. D. Marks, J. Vivekanandan, R. A. Black, J. C. Hubbert, M. M. Bell, D. E. Kingsmill, and A. B. White, 2017:The Ice Water Paths of Small and Large Ice Species in Hurricanes Arthur (2014) and Irene (2011). J. Appl. Meteor. and Clim., 56, 1383-1404.
- Park, M.-S., M.-I. Lee, D. Kim, D.-H. Cha, M. M. Bell, and R. L. Elsberry, 2017: Land-based Convection Effects on Near-Coastal Formation of a Tropical Cyclone. Mon. Wea. Rev., 145, 1315–1337.
- Brown, B. R., M. M. Bell, and A. Frambach, 2016: Validation of Simulated Hurricane Drop Size Distributions using Polarimetric Radar. Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, doi:10.1002/2015GL067278.
- Bell, M. M., R. Ballard, M. Bauman, A. Foerster, A. Frambach, K. Kosiba, W.-C. Lee, S. Rees, and J. Wurman, 2015: The Hawaiian Educational Radar Opportunity (HERO). Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 96, 2167-2181.
- Penny, A. B., P. A. Harr, and M. M. Bell, 2015: Observations of a non-developing tropical disturbance in the western North Pacific during TCS-08 (2008). Mon. Wea. Rev., 143, 2459-2484.
- Foerster, A. M., M. M. Bell, S. C. Jones, and P. A. Harr, 2014: Observations of the eyewall structure of Typhoon Sinlaku (2008) during the transformation stage of extratropical transition. Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 3372-3392.
- Quinting, J. F., M. M. Bell, P. A. Harr, and S. C. Jones, 2014: Structural characteristics of T-PARC Typhoon Sinlaku during its extratropical transition. Mon. Wea. Rev., 142, 1945-1961.
- Tang, X., W.-C. Lee, M. M. Bell, and Y. Wang, 2014: A Squall line like principal rainband in Typhoon Hagupit (2008) observed by airborne Doppler radar. J. Atmos. Sci., 71, 2733-2746.
- Lussier, L. L., M. T. Montgomery, and M. M. Bell, 2013: The genesis of Typhoon Nuri as observed during the Tropical Cyclone Structure 2008 (TCS08) field experiment - Part 3: Kinematical and dynamical aspects of genesis. Atmos. Chem. and Phys, 14, 8795-8812, doi:10.5194/acp-14-8795-2014.
- Bell, M. M., W.-C. Lee, C. Wolff, and H. Cai, 2013: A Solo-based automated quality control algorithm for airborne Doppler tail radar data. J. Appl. Meteor. and Clim., 52, 2509-2528.
- Sanger, N. T., M. T. Montgomery, R. K. Smith, and M. M. Bell, 2013: An observational study of tropical-cyclone spin-up in Supertyphoon Jangmi (2008) from 24-27 September. Mon. Wea. Rev., 124, 3-28.
- Bell, M. M., M. T. Montgomery, and K. E. Emanuel, 2012: Air-sea enthalpy and momentum exchange at major hurricane wind speeds observed during CBLAST. J. Atmos. Sci., 69, 3197-3122.
- Bell, M. M., M. T. Montgomery, and W.-C. Lee, 2012: An axisymmetric view of concentric eyewall evolution in Hurricane Rita (2005). J. Atmos. Sci., 69, 2414-2432.
- Bell, M. M., and W.-C. Lee, 2012: Objective tropical cyclone center tracking using single Doppler radar. J. Appl. Meteor. And Clim., 51, 878-896.
- Montgomery, M. T., C. Davis, T. Dunkerton, Z. Wang, C. Velden, R. Torn, S. Majumdar, F. Zhang, R. Smith, L. Bosart, M. Bell, J. Haase, M. A. Boothe, J. Jensen, and T. Campos, 2012: The Pre-Depression Investigation of Cloud Systems in the Tropics (PREDICT) Experiment: Scientific Basis, New Analysis Tools and Some First Results. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 93, 153-172.
- Murillo, S. T., W.-C. Lee, M. M. Bell, F. D. Marks Jr., P. P. Dodge, and G. M. Barnes, 2011: Intercomparison of GBVTD-retrieved circulation centers and structures of Hurricane Danny (1997) from two coastal WSR-88Ds. Mon. Wea. Rev., 139, 153-174.
- Bell, M. M., and M. T. Montgomery, 2010: Sheared deep vortical convection in pre-depression Hagupit during TCS08. Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L06802, doi:10.1029/2009GL042313.
- Houze, R. A., Lee, W.-C., M. M. Bell, 2009: Convective contributions to the genesis of Hurricane Ophelia (2005): Observations from RAINEX. Mon. Wea. Rev., 137, 2778-2800.
- Lee, W.-C., M. M. Bell, and K. A. Goodman, 2008: Supercells and mesocyclones in the outer rainbands of Hurricane Katrina (2005). Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L16803, doi:10.1029/2008GL034724
- Bell, M. M., and M. T. Montgomery, 2008: Observed structure, evolution, and potential intensity of category five Hurricane Isabel (2003) from 12 - 14 September. Mon. Wea. Rev., 136, 2023-2046.
- Houze, R. A., S. S. Chen, B. F. Smull, W.-C. Lee, and M. M. Bell, 2007: Hurricane Intensity Change and Eyewall Replacement. Science, 315, 1235-1239.
- Tanamachi, R., H. Bluestein, W.-C. Lee, M. M. Bell, A. Pazmany, 2007: Ground-Based Velocity Track Display (GBVTD) Analysis of W-Band Doppler Radar Data in a Tornado near Stockton, Kansas on 15 May 1999. Mon. Wea. Rev., 135, 783-800.
- Lee, W.-C., and M. M. Bell, 2007: Rapid intensification, eyewall contraction, and breakdown of Hurricane Charley (2004) near landfall. Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L02802, doi:10.1029/2006GL027889.
- Houze, R. A., S. S. Chen, W.-C. Lee, R. F. Rogers, J. A. Moore, G. J. Stossmeister, J. L. Cetrone,W. Zhao, and M. M. Bell, 2006: The Hurricane Rainband and Intensity Change Experiment (RAINEX): Observations and modeling of Hurricanes Katrina, Ophelia, and Rita (2005). Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 87, 1503-1521.
- Montgomery, M. T., M. M. Bell, S. Aberson, M. Black, 2006: Superintense winds in Hurricane Isabel (2003). Part I: Mean Vortex Structure and Maximum Intensity Estimates. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 87, 1335-1347.
- Aberson, S., M. Montgomery, M. M. Bell, M. Black, 2006: Superintense winds in Hurricane Isabel (2003). Part II: Extreme Wind Speeds. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 87, 1349-1354.
- Lee, W.-C. M. M. Bell, P. Harasti, B. Jou, M.-H. Chang, 2006: Doppler Velocity Signatures of Idealized Elliptical Vortices. Terrestrial Atmos. and Oceans, 17, 429-446.
- Bluestein, H. B., W.-C. Lee, M. M. Bell, C. C. Weiss, A. L. Pazmany, 2003: Mobile Doppler radar observations of a tornado in a supercell near Bassett, Nebraska, on 5 June 1999. Part II: Tornado-vortex structure. Mon. Wea. Rev., 131, 2968-2894.
- Aberson, S. D., J. Cione, C.-C. Wu, M. M. Bell, J. Halverson, C. Fogarty, and M. Weissmann, 2010: Aircraft used to observe tropical cyclones. Chapter in "Global Perspectives on Tropical Cyclones", World Scientific, Johnny Chan, Ed., 448 pp.